Monday, February 20, 2006
Anglican-Israeli issues
Hmmm. I'm inclined to support the synod's views on ethical investment. I don't think it is anti-semitic at all, as Rowan has been trying to make clear. I'm in the position of being Jewish enough to have anti-semitic abuse posted on here, but am also an Anglican. I have a gut feeling that Israeli actions seem to bring about anti-semitism on non-Israeli Jews throughout the world. While I'm not going to compare the destruction of Palestinian homes to slavery, the Church has made unethical mistakes in the past, and withdrawing support for some Israeli actions is, I guess an attempt to avoid such things again. The Church has made it quite clear that this is not a call for the boycott of Israel, and, to be honest, I think Rabbi Sacks is making an undue fuss. I've read a few of Rabbi Sacks' books, and find him to be a superb, and spiritual, writer, but he should know that to condemn the actions of Israel is not to condemn the members of the diaspora.
Read about it here:
Church of England website
Jerusalem Post
NYTimes
BBC
In times like this, I try to think what Jesus would do (it sounds corney, yes, but it does help focus the mind), and after contemplation, I feel that the Anglican communion should remove investment in the firm.
Technorati Tag: Anglican